Monday 5 April 2010

Crafty Cardmakers 18 - a challenging challenge!



Well this really was a challenge for me! The idea this fortnight at Crafty Cardmakers is to do something that you would normally avoid - so maybe a past challenge that you didn't fancy trying for some reason, a technique that you wouldn't normally do, equipment that's been gathering dust, basically anything that you'd normally run a mile from lol!

I've chosen to challenge myself in a couple of different ways for this one. Firstly I would normally avoid black & white themes - I just don't think I'm very good at them and I really love to work with colour. The major challenge for me though was using my sewing machine - bought about 6 months ago, and it's been sat in the corner of my craft room gathering dust ever since! Honestly I don't know why, but the bloomin' thing terrifies me! I've never used one before (ever!) so I'm not sure why I thought I'd just be able to buy one and suddenly be an expert... Anyway this is it's very first use on a card so PLEASE excuse the wonky stitching, I'm sure it'll get a bit better with some practise!

The tree image is from a Kanban stamp set, stamped and then heat embossed. I've been looking at this set in my local craft shop for ages - it's not my usual style (not being cute!) and I wasn't sure if I'd get enough use out of them, but I really do love this tree, so in the end I bought them! I've added some black flat backed pearls to the tree here and there. The papers are Papermania, with Coredinations cardstock. The flower was cut with a Woodware daisy punch, with a button from my stash. Lace is from my stash and sentiment from Craftwork Cards. Both the flower and the sentiment were positioned to cover particularly wonky bits of stitching!

I'm also entering my card for the following challenges:

While I'm posting - does anyone have any camera recommendations? We have a little bit of spare cash this month that (if I get my way) will hopefully be spent on a new camera. We can't spend too much though. So what do you have and would you recommend it? I'm soooo tired of slightly blurry pics - my current camera doesn't even have a macro setting.

19 comments:

mckinkle said...

Super card! I think you are being extremely hard on yourself! If my first attempt at using a sewing machine was as good as that Id have been tickled pink!
Monochrome is my fav combo and your card demonstrates that in buckets!

My camera is Kodak C813 with 8.3 megapixels that will be a low mp rate these days (it is less than 1yr old but the industry just moves on so quickly!) and it was @ £60 on offer so you should be able to get a higher one for similar money I reckon. I kno a few of us that have this camera and it is really useful, macro setting is great too!

Keryn x

Juls said...

I love this, love the momochrome look! such a gorgeous card! Hugs Juls

Di said...

Lovely card Lisa, i've got this set and have only used it once.I second what Keryn said about the sewing i think mine would have gone all over the card! Di. x

Catherine said...

Thank you for joining us at Cupcake Craft with such a stunning card ! Love the lace and your flower is gorgeous ! Smiles from Catherine

crafty creations said...

A beautiful card which is really enhanced by the sewing

Thanks for joining the Lotstodo Challenge xx Hilda

Effie said...

Nice card... and a great stamp!

Lori said...

This is totally stunning Lisa! I love the black and white and the tree is tdf!!!! Great stitching too!!!! I'd go with a canon or nikon for the new camera. But take a card with you to the store and try it out, you can get them pretty cheap now days!!!!

Diane Louise J said...

What a beautiful card... its lovely, wish I could sew as straight as you... you'd laugh if you ever saw my attempts :0)

Love the tree stamp, have been looking at this myself on the web.... you have inspired me to buy it.

Thanks, Diane x

Jaqi said...

Fab card , I love the stitching I would like to try more of that , its always looks good.
Its beautiful, well done and Happy Easter

coops said...

stunning card lisa, i love the monochrome colours and your stitching is fab.love the tree stamp.luv coops.xx

Kat said...

Love this monochrome look Lisa. Your sewing looks pretty good to me. I've only used my machine to do straight stitching. I keep meaning to try zig zag lol!

I love the pink card you posted yesterday. Very feminine and girly, gorgeous. I'm trying to catch up after being away all weekend!

Kat xx

Kelly Schelske said...

This is gorgeous Lisa!

I have a Canon Rebel xSi, but usually for my cards I have a little Sony point and shoot and it's not bad. We got it for free using safety points at my hubby's work, but there are some really great smaller cameras out there for a decent price!

Anonymous said...

excellent card, much better than my first attemp which had that Frankenstiensmonster vibe!EE

Dragonlady said...

Hi Lisa

You should do this style more often you have excelled yourself. The stitching is fab and I understand what you mean about the seewing machine. The pearls are the perfect addition to this stunning card.

Hugs Ali x

Sarah said...

Fab card Lisa, love B+W and that image. Well done on dusting off the sewing machine. I saw one on offer today and am tempted.

I treated myself to a new camera at Christmas a Lumix (Panasonic) FP1 12MP compact fab pics 149 from Argos they do a couple of cheaper models. But the guy in Currys said Lumix and Cannon are the best lenses for close up detail.

Sarah x

Unknown said...

Oooo, love your classic card! Thanks for creating with us at TPE!

Nannieflash said...

Hi Lisa, that card is gorgeous and so beautiful. With love and hugs Shirleyxx

Made by Mandy said...

Well you do black and white very well, but then you make gorgeous cards full stop.

Thanks for your comment on my blog, hoping to be back to normal soon, just been running myself ragged and not taking time out for ME. I'll never learn........

Bought a new pad MME from The Range yesterday, its got loads of glitter on it but I can't remember the name.

Gonna have a catch up on your blog over the next few days, I've missed so much and I'm sure you've bought more ** must haves **.

love Mandy xxx

Anonymous said...

Your card's devine Lisa...I just adore that stamp.
I love the black and white...not my strong point!!!

I have a Sony Cyber-shot 12.1 megapixels, it supposed to be Pete's for work but I won't let him have it back, I used to use my phone, I can't remember how much it was but the prices have come down alot

Take care for now
x
Vicky